Boxing gloves are essential equipment for any boxer, providing protection and support during training and matches. However, due to their frequent use, boxing gloves can accumulate sweat, bacteria, and unpleasant odors. Proper cleaning and maintenance are necessary to extend their lifespan and keep them fresh and hygienic. In this article, we will guide you through the process of how to wash boxing gloves effectively. Let’s dive in.
Join Boxing Report to learn more tips for boxing lovers.
Why do you have to clean boxing gloves?
Cleaning boxing gloves is crucial for several reasons. Firstly, it helps maintain hygiene and prevents the growth of bacteria and fungi that can lead to infections. Additionally, washing gloves removes unpleasant odors, keeping them fresh and comfortable to wear. Proper maintenance also prolongs the lifespan of the gloves, saving you from frequent replacements.
Preparing the gloves for washing
Before washing your boxing gloves, it’s important to prepare them properly. Begin by wiping the exterior of the gloves with a damp cloth to remove any surface dirt or debris. Then, open the gloves wide and allow them to air out for a few minutes, helping to eliminate trapped moisture.
How to wash boxing gloves?
Washing boxing gloves can be done with both hands or washing machines. However, not everyone knows how to do it properly. Below are steps that help you out.
Hand washing method
- Fill a basin or sink with lukewarm water and add a small amount of mild detergent.
- Immerse the gloves in the soapy water, ensuring they are fully submerged.
- Gently agitate the gloves in the water, allowing the detergent to penetrate the interior.
- Use a soft brush or cloth to scrub the interior lining and the surface of the gloves, paying attention to any areas with visible stains or dirt.
- Rinse the gloves thoroughly with clean water to remove all soap residue.
- Squeeze out excess water gently, taking care not to deform the gloves.
- Towel dry the gloves to remove as much moisture as possible.
Watch the video below to follow how to wash boxing gloves by hand.
Machine washing method
- Check the manufacturer’s instructions to ensure your gloves are machine washable.
- Place the gloves in a mesh laundry bag or pillowcase to protect them during the wash cycle.
- Add a small amount of mild detergent to the washing machine.
- Set the machine to a gentle or delicate cycle with cold water.
- Start the washing machine and let it complete the cycle.
- Once the cycle is finished, remove the gloves from the laundry bag or pillowcase.
Drying the Gloves
After washing, it’s crucial to dry your boxing gloves thoroughly to prevent the growth of mold or mildew. Follow these steps for effective drying:
- Gently squeeze out any excess water from the gloves.
- Avoid direct sunlight or heat sources as they can damage the gloves.
- Open the gloves wide and stuff them with crumpled newspaper or clean, dry towels.
- Place the gloves in a well-ventilated area and allow them to air dry completely.
- Ensure the gloves are completely dry before storing them to prevent unpleasant odors.
To minimize the need for frequent deep cleaning, consider these preventive measures:
- Always wear hand wraps or inner gloves to absorb sweat and protect the interior of the boxing gloves.
- After each training session, wipe the gloves with a damp cloth and air them out.
- Store your gloves in a well-ventilated area to allow proper air circulation.
- Avoid leaving your gloves inside your gym bag for extended periods as this promotes bacterial growth.
Also read: how to wrap hands for boxing
Tips for Maintaining Clean Gloves
Here are some additional tips to help you maintain clean and fresh boxing gloves:
- Use deodorizing sprays or powders designed specifically for boxing gloves to eliminate odors. Here are some popular brands of deodorizing sprays or powders specifically designed for cleaning boxing gloves: Meister Glove Deodorizers, Sanabul Glove Deodorizer and Dryer, or Venum “Kontact” Glove Deodorizer. You should check reviews on each brand carefully before you by
- Consider using glove deodorizers or moisture-absorbing pouches to keep your gloves fresh between training sessions.
- Periodically clean the exterior surface of the gloves with a damp cloth to remove dirt and sweat residue.
Regularly washing and maintaining your boxing gloves is essential for hygiene, longevity, and comfort. By following the proper cleaning methods outlined in this article, you can keep your gloves fresh, odor-free, and in excellent condition for longer periods. Remember to always prioritize cleanliness and hygiene when it comes to your boxing equipment.